Sunday, August 20, 2006

How to Turn a Golf Cart into a Bike Trailer.

  1. Select the correct Golf Cart.
    Not being an enjoyer of chasing white balls around paddocks, to my limited knowledge it appears to me that there are two main styles of Golf Cart. One that is kind of a scissor type with the wheels held out on arms and the other a more simple type like the one pictured. The latter is the one these instructions apply to. I am not sure how lucky I was to get hold if this cart and if this type of cart is common but here goes. One benefit of this particular cart is that it came with pneumatic tires.

2. Unscrew the front triangle which uses the axle as a stop and screw it back on with the stop now being on top of the axle. At this point the front triangle will just flop
on the ground.











3. Now cut the ends off the cart these are the bits that hold the bag making sure you leave the handle and cross bar in place unless you plan to weld a new cross bar on later (which I did). I managed to reuse the plugs from the original ends to plug the newly sawn ends.











4. Now turn the buggy up side down and attatch the handle. I don't have any good photos but this picture of the final product will give you the idea. The handle ends up being in the perfect place (at least in my case) to attach to a pannier rack.



5. For the moment I have used my existing Wheele mount which consists of a swivel on the seat post. I plan in the future to place a rack on the bike and attach the trailer to that. I kept the handle on the buggy so it could be used as a cart when not attatched to the bike. I'll leave the attachment method to you bike up to you.





6. Load her up. I have just used a couple of bins I already had but will probably end up using one big bin. One advantage of the two smaller bins is if you only have one on the trailer you can actually fold the back of the trailer up making it short wheel based!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice cart!!!
Will find material to start ours soon,,,,
Thanks for the information,,,greatly appreciate it!
John K.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice trailer,
Will start ours as soon as we find used cart reasonable.
Thank you for posting and the great information,
John K

3:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice cart!!!
Will find material to start ours soon,,,,
Thanks for the information,,,greatly appreciate it!
John K.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home